Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Chicago

Well our last vacation before the baby, or our "babymoon" as some people call it, is over.  We had so much fun in Chicago though and it was a nice last hoorah.  Jeff had meetings all day on Thursday so I had a much needed 'me' day.  I grabbed breakfast and then took a cab to Michigan Ave. where I spent the next 4 1/2 hours walking around shopping, probably not the best thing to do when you're 8 months pregnant, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.  After my feet decided that they couldn't take anymore punishment, I stopped for lunch and ate by myself in a restaurant for the first time ever.  I always feel so sad for people when I see them eating by themselves, but I have to say, it was quite nice....and somewhat liberating.  I took a cab back to the hotel and spent 30 minutes walking around lost looking for a nail place where I could get a pedicure, desperately wanting someone to rub my feet.  I probably would have accepted a foot rub from a homeless man at this point. I literally felt like I was going to collapse and could not take one more step when I finally found the place I was looking for, I walked in and collapsed in the massage chair and did not move or say a word while they worked their magic on my poor little feet.   Needless to say, Friday was very rough for me, I was definitely feeling the effects of being on my feet all day.  But lucky for me, the weather was pretty crappy so I didn't feel so bad laying in bed all day.  The only time I moved was to eat,which I managed to do a lot of, and use the bathroom.  There was a McDonald's right next door to our hotel so I was in rolo mcflurry heaven...not to mention deep dish pizza heaven. 

Saturday we went to brunch, took a nap, and then headed over to Wrigley field for the Cubs vs. Whitesox game.  Neither of us had ever been to a Cubs game so we were quite taken aback by the amount of tailgating and partying that goes on around Wrigley Field.  I would even venture to say it rivals UT game day.  It was also about 110 degrees outside with none of that 'chicago wind' that you hear so much about...I didn't feel even the slightest breeze.  But we had a good time anyways, and after I finished my helmet full of nachos, we headed back to the hotel and decided to try another deep dish pizza place, just so we would have a fair assessment of who has the best pizza in Chicago...the jury is still out on that one.


Sunday was our last day so we decided to make the most of it.  We started with breakfast at Yolk, which was delicious, and then we went on the Architectural boat tour which I thought was a lot of fun and very interesting.  Chicago is beautiful in the summer! 
My 32 weeks pic...Jeff is becoming a pro with the camera

On the boat tour

After the boat tour we walked over to the Taste of Chicago and attempted to try some different Chicago cuisines.  But it really turned out to be quite a hot mess.  It was very crowded, and hot, and you had to buy tickets to even get a bottle of water.  Did I mention it was hot?  So we split a Chicago dog and some homemade potato chips and called it quits on the Taste of Chicago.  But we weren't quite done 'tasting' Chicago yet.  We walked back into the city and found the first hot dog joint we saw and this time we split a polish dog with all the works and cheese fries.  At this point all I wanted was a bed, which we didn't have since we had to check out of our room that morning.

All in all, it was a great vacation.  It was our last vacation as just a married couple...from now on we'll be a family...it's so weird to think about. 

On Monday we went over to Jeff's parents to relax by the pool, do a little boating, and pick up Kiki since they had kept her for us over the weekend.  When I walked downstairs at their house, this is what I saw:


This is Allie's playroom that Jeff's mom has handmade for her...do you think this little girl is going to be spoiled???  This is every little girls dream...I'm almost 30 years old and I still want to play in this room.  It makes me want to break out my old cabbage patch doll and play house.  She hand painted all of this furniture and made all of the cushions and bows by hand. So creative, and so adorable.  I'm gonna have to try and top this play room at our house or she's never gonna want to come home!

And just for a little bragging, this is my awesome husband 'catching some air' on the wake board.  If you'd like to become one of his sponsors please make checks payable to Julie Pitta.

On another note, I got to see Allie again yesterday!  It wasn't planned this time, and to be honest, I was terrified, but everything turned out to be ok. I went in for my routine 2 week checkup and Dr. Yu measured my stomach, or my Fundus as it's officially called, as she always does and my measurements were 2 Cm's off from what they should be.  It's not a cause for major alarm, but she ordered an ultrasound because she wanted to make sure that I wasn't leaking amniotic fluid or that there wasn't something else hindering Allie's growth. I had an hour to go back to work in between my Dr.'s visit and the time I had to be back for the ultrasound...an hour is way too long when you're worried something might be wrong with your baby.  And it didn't help that I had Jeff, my mom, and myself googling what the possible causes could be.  I don't know why I always turn to google to answer life's most difficult questions...but like I've said before, you can always trust what you read on google right?  But thankfully the results from the ultrasound were good, my fluid levels were normal and Allie was in the 57th percentile for weight and size, which they said is average.  The only other explanation the Dr. had for my small measurement was that my abdominal muscles are very strong and just aren't stretching as much as normal...so I guess that means all of that money I poured into boot camp last year was worth every penny :)!

I know it's a small scare compared to what most people have to deal with, but I still hope that it's our last one.  I just pray for a healthy and happy baby girl!!

I hope you all had a great holiday weekend as well!

1 comment:

  1. You look Precious Julie!! Glad you had a wonderful trip :)

    ReplyDelete